I absolutely adore and swear by these travel quotes for two reasons:
- They are all true (as stereotypical as they might sound) and
- They are actually helpful in planning a trip
Believe it or not, some of them are as old as hundreds of years, but they still hold true to today’s attitude and behavior towards traveling. They also speak close to a traveler’s heart on what’s important for adventures- and cultures- seekers. This week’s travel quotes features quotes by Lao Tzu, Lao Tzu, a philosopher of ancient China and a central figure in Taoism.
Lao Tzu, “Old Master” literal sense, was a philosopher of ancient China, and a central honorific figure in Taoism. Tzu in the Taoist religion is referred as “One of the Three Pure Ones”, or one of Taoist gods.According to Chinese tradition, Laozi lived in the 6th century BC. Historians variously contend that Laozi is a synthesis of multiple historical figures, that he is a mythical figure, or that he actually lived in the 4th century BC, concurrent with the Hundred Schools of Thought and Warring States Period.
A central figure in Chinese culture, both nobility and common people claim Laozi in their lineage. Throughout history, Laozi's work was embraced by various anti-authoritarian movements.
1. “A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step.” - Lao Tzu
2. “A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving.” - Lao Tzu
3. “A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step.” - Lao Tzu
4. "A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving." - Lao Tzu
5. “There is no moment of delight in any pilgrimage like the beginning of it.” - Charles Dudley Warner
6. “Traveling is a brutality. It forces you to trust strangers and to lose sight of all that familiar comfort of home and friends. You are constantly off balance. Nothing is yours except the essential things - air, sleep, dreams, the sea, the sky - all things tending towards the eternal or what we imagine of it.” - Cesare Pavese
7. ″A traveler without observation is a bird without wings.” - Moslih Eddin Saadi
8. “One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.” - Henry Miller
9. “When we get out of the glass bottle of our ego and when we escape like the squirrels in the cage of our personality and get into the forest again, we shall shiver with cold and fright. But things will happen to us so that we don’t know ourselves. Cool, unlying life will rush in.” - D. H. Lawrence
10. “To awaken quite alone in a strange town is one of the pleasantest sensations in the world.” - Freya Stark
11. “One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.” - Henry Miller
12. “Travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living.” - Miriam Beard
13. “All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.” - Martin Buber
14. “We live in a wonderful world that is full of beauty, charm and adventure. There is no end to the adventures we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open.” - Jawaharial Nehru
15. “Tourists don’t know where they’ve been, travelers don’t know where they’re going.” - Paul Theroux